My two week itinerary was quite concise but definitely manageable.
Yangon > Bagan > Mandalay > (day trip) Sagaing, Inwa, Amarapura > Pyin Oo Lwin > Mandalay > Kalaw > Pindaya Caves > Inle Lake > Yangon
If you prefer to take things at a slower pace then ultimately you will probably find yourself in Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle Lake. Post on Pyin Oo Lwin, Kalaw and Pindaya Caves to follow…..
My trip notes ended up being pages and pages long, I desperately would love to share every single moment of my trip with you and to help aid your own trip planning. But Myanmar is simply yours to discover. So this post is more of my best bits and a photo diary. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any further questions.
- Sleep – Pickled Tea Hostel
- Visit – Shwedagon Pagoda – day and night!
- Visit – Chauk Htat Gyi Buddha – Reclining Buddha
- Eat & Drink – The Strand Hotel for a bit of extravagant tea and cake, or stop by one of the tea shops and drink with the locals
- Walk – Whilst I love a good wander, if you have the Lonely Planet guidebook there’s a good walking tour of downtown Yangon
- Out of Town – Taukkyan War Cemetery
- Sleep – Ostello Bello Bagan, New Bagan. If you arrive before check in and in need of a rest make use of the rooftop day beds, otherwise head straight out and explore.
- Visit – THE TEMPLES! Hire an e-bike, take a horse & cart or cycle, or all three!
- See – watch the sunrise and/or sunset from the top of one of the temples
- Eat – at the Black Rose, opposite Ostello Bello in New Bagan. Delicious!
- Sleep – Hotel 8 – a great budget hotel
- Visit – Mandalay Hill for sunset
- Visit – pagodas…. Kuthodaw Pagoda, Sandamuni Pagoda, Kyauk Taw Gyi Pagoda
- See – The Moustache Brothers
- Out of Town – Sagaing, Inwa, Amarapura (U Bein Bridge)
- Sleep – The Manor Hotel, Nyaung Shwe
- Visit – Take a long boat day trip on Inle Lake
- Eat – Star Flower, Nyaung Shwe – for the best savoury and sweet pancakes in town!
- Eat – Sin Yaw, Nyaung Shwe – for local cuisine
- See – Aung Puppet Show